Saturday, July 30, 2011

Story a Week 25 - Propheteering Part 12

Once again, I had this story written long before it was due to be posted.  I'm so proud of myself!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rixi turned around to see how close her friends were getting.  She blinked and when she opened her eyes she was startled to see herself standing in a vast forest.  From behind her, a voice that was somehow familiar, yet also strange said, "Welcome, Rixi."

Startled again, Rixi spun around and drew her short swords.  She was surprised to see a very handsome Grey Elf standing beside a table elegantly set for tea.  She sheepishly put away her weapons and smiled at the elf.

"I'm sorry to have startled you," the elf said.  "I'm also sorry to have pulled you from your current quest, but I needed to speak to you."

Rixi was very confused.  The man in front of her looked very familiar to her, yet she knew that she had never met him before.  "Who are you?" she asked.

The man blushed and said, "I'm terribly sorry, how rude of me to not introduce myself.  I am Yond Thruil."

Rixi nearly fainted when she recognized the name of the god of all elves.  "Wh...what do you want me for?  Am I dead?"

Yond shook his head and replied, "No, of course not.  As I said before, I needed to speak with you before you and your friends faced the dragon."  He gestured to a seat next to the table.  "Will you sit?"

Rixi shyly nodded and sat down.  Yond sat after her.  "Would you like some tea?" he asked.

Rixi realized then that she hadn't had anything to eat in quite a while.  She nodded.  As Yond poured the tea, he said, "Just so that you know, Rixi.  I am quite aware of your situation and I know your history quite well."

Yond passed Rixi the teacup and saucer.  She asked, "I don't understand why you want to talk to me?  I've never been very religious and I'm not even sure how to pray since I've never tried."

Yond chuckled and said, "I appreciate your honesty.  To respond to your question, even if you don't worship me, you are an elf.  As the god of all elves, I want you to know that I have the best interests of our people at heart."

Rixi sipped her tea as he spoke.  When he was finished she said, "That doesn't really answer my question."

Yond chuckled again.  "You are a smart one."  Yond sighed, "There are rules that even I must follow, Rixi.  One of them is that I cannot tell you of your future.  For one, the future isn't written.  It sort of unfolds itself.  As such, I can only see glimpses and get vague ideas of it anyway.  Just know that, even if you don't worship me, that I love you as I do all elves."

Rixi was as confused as ever.  "What did you want to talk about?" she asked.

Yond's smile grew.  "You may or may not have heard of a race of elves called Pelorin?"  He waited until Rixi shook her head.  "Well, in that case I will explain.  Pelorin are elves chosen for a higher calling.  They are extremely rare.  Their skin is a golden bronze and their hair is a fiery golden color.  They are my representatives on the surface of Uroth."  He paused, looking into the distance for a moment.  When his attention returned to Rixi he said, "Yif will notice your absence soon and will wonder at it.  He cannot know that I have taken you.  My point is, Rixi, would you ever consider joining the ranks of the Pelorin?"

Rixi was taken aback.  "You want me to be one of your servants?"

Yond shook his head.  "The Pelorin aren't servants.  They are my eyes and ears and often my fists.  Most of them are devout worshipers.  That, unfortunately, is turning out to be a bit of a problem for me.  There have been times where they have been blinded by their faith.  I think that it is about time that I start bringing some new faces into the ranks of the Pelorin.  I need someone who is willing to fight with me on occasion."

Rixi felt overwhelmed.  Before a few minutes ago, Rixi had trouble believing that Yond Thruil even existed, though she learned about his military career when he was mortal from her parents when she was little.  Now he was asking her to be one of his closest advisers and a warrior for his causes.  "I...I just don't know.  I've don't really know anything about your religion or anything."

Yond nodded.  "I understand, Rixi.  It is okay for you to think about this for a while.  Please don't tell anyone about what I've asked of you until you are ready to make your decision.  Once you're ready, just speak my name aloud and you will be transported back here again."

Rixi nodded.  Yond stood and Rixi followed suit.  He said, "I will send some food back with you.  Yif won't notice.  You and your friends are getting hungry down there and it will help you on your way."

Rixi nodded, still overwhelmed by this whole experience.  Yond put a hand on her shoulder and said, "Good luck."

Rixi felt a little sense of loss as she was transported back to the dark passageway.  She heard Cuddlington whisper, "Rixi, is that you?  Where did ye go lass?"

Rixi turned to see Cuddlington, Melbrid and Meentha near the entrance to where the dragon's chamber.  She started to move over to where her friends were waiting and realized that she was carrying a new item.  It was a small bag that was very light.

Melbrid said, "Where did you get that?  It's practically glowing with magical energy."

Rixi said, "Um, I found it here.  One of the orcs must have dropped it."

Her friends all looked at each other doubtfully.  Cuddlington dismissed it all with a wave of his hand.  "We have bigger problems.  Did you see what's waiting for us out there, Rixi?"

Rixi gazed out at the dragon.  It seemed to be sleeping after it finished slaughtering the orcs.  She said, "Yes I did.  I think we can defeat the dragon."

No comments:

Post a Comment